Diana Cerrillo, a kindergarten teacher, talks about her experience as a kindergartener teacher during the Solar Eclipse.

The total Solar Eclipse happened on April 8th, 2024. Many people around the world traveled further East of the states to experience this event. While others who didn’t or couldn’t due to work, necessities, etc. experienced some percentage of the Eclipse at home.

Days before, the moon was reported to cover at least 70% of the sun in Colorado so schools took that as an opportunity to take their students outside and look at it—many schools like Ms. Diana’s school. “I felt excitement at that moment because I remember the last solar eclipse I was in High school about 17-18 years old and I was about to graduate,” Ms. Diana says reminiscing on her past. 

Now she’s a full-time teacher who dedicates herself to her students’ education and didn’t expect to be able to experience another total solar eclipse. “Told us the next solar eclipse was gonna be 2024 and I was like “ooooooooo that’s way too much time” Now I’m fifty and at that moment I didn’t realize I would be fifty.” Ms. Diana says chuckling. 

We would all expect teachers to be stressed during this event but it was the opposite for Ms. Diana, it was something memorable for her. “So when it happened I was so anxiously excited, so emotional.” Ms. Diana says smiling even when there were times of chaos. “I didn’t have too much time to prepare my students, so very early in the morning, I talked to my students about the solar eclipse, so it was a chaotic day but they did pretty well, I was very proud of them. I told them with my firm voice to absolutely not look up to the sky without those glasses.” 

With that, Ms. Diana let her students enjoy their experience and gave them the chance of something of a rare occurrence which is special because a lot of schools don’t take their students out due to responsibility. “I am very glad that students get to experience a solar eclipse at least once in their lifetime, it’s something very special,” says Ms. Diana. 

Through the lenses of Ms. Diana, we can see how the Solar Eclipse can be a very impactful and emotional event, for it takes you back in time to reminisce on old memories but also create new ones.