NHS – 2019 Denver Santa Claus Workshop

January 13, 2020

National Honor Society (NHS) is an option for students at DSST Montview HS. At the beginning of the year, the 10th-11th grade student body got an email where they could “sign up” for the society. They answered questions evaluating their core values and then NHS Student Leaders chose the people that could join the club.

In the club, students are often given opportunities to volunteer outside of school and get volunteering hours. On

Bonding experience! Elena and Jeslyn stand in front of the kid’s toys. They went to the Santa Claus Shop together because they believed it would be more fun with friends. Elena had asked Jeslyn before signing up for the event, “Will you come with Emily and I? It’ll be really fun.”

Saturday December 14th, students from NHS went and volunteered at the 2019 Denver Santa Claus Shop.

The shop is a nonprofit organization that collects donations, such as toys and books, to give to children so that they aren’t present-less during the holiday season. The organization’s mission statement is “A Toy for Every Girl & Boy.”

In 2019, the Denver Santa Claus Shop was expected to help 13,000 children under the age of eleven.

Elena Barth, one of the student volunteers said “It feels so good giving back to others… it really warms my heart.”

Families were given paper slips, per child, that had a balance of 100 point on them. Every book and toy was assigned a specific price (in points) and families could cash in their points for gifts.

Merry Christmas! NHS students volunteer at the Denver Santa Claus Shop. It allowed students to get both volunteering hours and help their community. Jeslyn Zheng, a member of NHS, said “That was definitely worth going to!”

Many of the people receiving gifts were very nice and social. Brenda, a mother shopping for her children, stopped to talk to Karla, another one of the student volunteers, and asked “Are you guys being treated well? People being nice to you, sweetie?”

The Denver Santa Claus Shop has been one of many volunteer opportunities outside of school. Ms. Kieffer, the NHS leader, hosted an event where students could write letters to Santa to benefit Make-A-Wish. Every card that was written donated a dollar to the foundation and, in total, over $50 was raised.

Being a part of NHS allows students to better their community and truly be a part of a team.

MTV News • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Donate to MTV News
$45
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Comments (0)

All MTV News Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *