Which of These Two Games Should You Be Playing?

Omar Cuevas, Writer

Minecraft and Terraria are two games that have been seen as competitors ever since the release of Terraria on May 16, 2011. Minecraft is one of the biggest and most successful video games to ever come out. So many people have heard of Minecraft but, not everyone has heard about Terraria. The premise of the games is quite simple at first; You chop trees, make tools, make houses, make better tools and eventually fight bosses.  If you’re in the large majority of people that have never heard of the game Terraria, your initial questions might be, “what’s it about?” and “How do I even pronounce the name?”.  Well, Terraria is sometimes pronounced as tr-aa-ree-uh or as te-rare-ee-uh. Most will understand you however you pronounce though. Terraria, much like Minecraft, is an action-adventure sandbox game that has you progressing through a beautiful 2D world instead of a 3-dimensional one. You collect weapons and materials with the purpose of fighting many unique bosses. You’ll notice that the games sound very similar in theory but, they are two completely different experiences so I’m here to give you my take on which game is superior and which game could be the right choice for you.

Screenshot From Terraria 1.4 Journey’s End

Let’s first discuss how you can play the two games. Minecraft is available on almost any console including your smartphone. You can expect to pay around 30$ or less when you play on consoles or Pc and around 8$ on mobile devices. Terraria is also available on new generation consoles, Pc, and mobile. The game is available through steam and only costs around 10$. The console version is slightly more at 20$ but, it’s important to mention that this game goes on sale very frequently. I believe that this is an added benefit of Terraria but, the price doesn’t mean much if you don’t even know what it’s about. This brings me to my next argument, content.

Minecraft is a game that I often find myself getting bored with after not long.  The reason for this is because of how monotonous the tasks feel, especially if you’ve already beat the game previously. Minecraft has two main game modes, creative and survival. If you’re like me then you like the challenge that survival presents. In survival, you spend most of your time mining ores and building houses. This can feel tedious to me sometimes because I’m also not the best builder. After upgrading your equipment as much as you’d like you can go to the Nether, a dark and gloomy underworld dimension, where you focus on either your first boss, The Wither, or, obtaining blaze rods. You can then go to the End Dimension, to have your first and final confrontation with The Ender Dragon. After you’ve beaten it, You can explore as much as you’d like and build to your heart’s content but you have basically completed your playthrough. You can still play in the world and build and explore but, it could get boring since you no longer have a goal that you need to strive for. 

Ender Man and Ender Dragon posing for a picture in the End Dimension

We can now move on to Terraria’s content. You begin the same as Minecraft, dig down and find some ore. You can also find a plethora of enemies, treasure chests with helpful loot, and materials that can be used to craft.  This game is quite long so I won’t go into all the details rather just the main aspects. The player must explore the 2D generated world finding/making accessories, armor, weapons in order to defeat bosses. Unlike Minecraft which only has two basic weapons, the sword, and the bow, Terraria has hundreds of different weapons that can be divided into 4 classes, ranger (guns, bows), melee (swords, yoyo, etc), mage (spell tomes, staffs) and summoner. Most of the weapons are very unique and have special properties while some can be a direct upgrade. All of these classes can be mixed or played as separately. The game is split into two halves pre-hard mode and hard mode and there are roughly 15 main bosses and multiple events where you get to fight waves of unique enemies. There is much to do that I don’t think I’ve gotten through 100% of it personally after hundreds of hours I’ve spent playing it. This guides me to my next issue of replayability.

Meme comparing endgame armors and weapons from each of the games.

After asking students whether or not they tend to replay games after beating them, the majority said no or it depends on the game. I also feel the same way and Terraria is one of a few games that I can come back to and feel as though there is still something I can do like, start a new playthrough with a different class or try and find a rare item. Something that I really enjoy about the game is its pacing. Throughout your adventure, you’ll feel how strong your character is getting only to arrive at the next boss or the hard mode half of the game and feel how weak you’ve become. Minecraft’s progression is fairly linear as you go from ore to ore and maybe even enchant your weapons and armor to be better. This is not a bad thing however but it sometimes makes for a short and boring playthrough.

Lastly, I’d like to address the current state of the games. On October 20, 2020, Re-Logic , the games’ developers, released the game’s final major update, version 1.4 labeled “Journey’s End.” The Update improved many of the game’s textures and added more game modes, bosses, items, and enemies. This update is so far only available on the PC and mobile version of the game with the console version is expected to be released in a matter of months. As of January 2021, Minecraft is nearing version 1.17 which is focused on updating caves and adds a lot more content to the game. In conclusion, I really like both of these games and it’s been exciting to see how much these games have evolved ever since they were initially compared at their releases.  I highly recommend you check out Terraria and support the small group of developers and artists that poured their hearts and soul into this masterpiece.