Gays Being Represented Around The Community

Love is Love

gustavofrazao - stock.adobe.com

Delilah Maestas, Writer

What is GSA?

The Formally known Gay Straight Alliance is now known as The Gender and Sexuality Alliance. This is a club at DSST : Montview where all students are welcome, including those who do not identify as a member of the LGBTQ+ community. As many have seen over the years, more and more people are willing to say who they are because love is love, yet many are still hiding who they really are.

The Truth Behind Many Gay People

It’s not easy to come out when your gender or sexuality is not hetero-normative. It has taken many years for others to admit to being who they truly are because of those who aren’t willing to except them. There are many hateful people in this world who don’t support those who identify as LGBTQ+, but we are important members of the community. In 2020, our school is more welcoming of students who are in the LGBTQ+ community. It’s not perfect, but there have been improvements made. Now in 2020 many changes have been made, so they have decided to welcome the new year in their own way.

Being Gay at DSST

I know personally that it is hard to say that I’m bisexual, but our school celebrates everyone. One way our school celebrates gays and lesbians is by having a dance to celebrate the Queer New Year. Not only are students at our school being celebrated for who they are and their background, but they are willing let everyone celebrate themselves.

Gays in the Real World

Many of the famous people in the world are gay, but some of them aren’t too open about it. Ellen DeGeneres, Neil Patrick Harris, Chris Colfer, etc. All of these people are either gay or lesbian. They see them as regular human beings.  If you don’t support people who identify as LGBTQ+, then think about the friends or even family you have who might be hiding that part of them from you. As Senator Tammy Baldwin said, “All of us who are openly gay are living and writing the history of our movement. We are no more – and no less – heroic than the suffragists and abolitionists of the 19th century; and the labor organizers, Freedom Riders, Stonewall demonstrators, and environmentalists of the 20th century. We are ordinary people, living our lives, and trying as civil-rights activist Dorothy Cotton said, to ‘fix what ain’t right’ in our society.” This shows that being part of this group of wonderful people means that everyone stands up for their own rights and battles.

How to Make Everyone Welcome in Our Community

At DSST: Montview all students are welcomed to join GSA. This is a great chance to get to know everyone in the community. There’s nothing wrong with those who choose to be different, so get to know them and become friends with them because just like you they are only human.